Saturday, August 7, 2010

What's a project without a couple setbacks?

So,they say life's the journey, not the destination, right? Welp, that is certainly true. Without the trip it takes to get where you're going, what's the fun of it? The road trip to the wedding is always as fun as the reception, the bus ride to the soccer game is what really makes you stick with the team, and the free drinks on the plane to Vegas are what really get you in the mood to par-tay.

So, here's to appreciating every step in the way to this new house, good or bad.

Here's what brings me to this moment of reflection:

After two weeks of planning on swapping "labor for labor" with a custom cabinet maker (thank goodness for boyfriends who know electrical), our cabinet guy from heaven has officially bailed. Now, I understand we are all busy and I shouldn't have banked on someone "finding time" to put together a whole kitchen full of wonderfully perfect cabinets, but, silly me, I did. So now we are three weeks into this fun little adventure and no closer to having a put-together kitchen. Of course, I'd be willing to go with the "Coleman stove on the floor and sink on saw horses" set up for a while, just to move into my own place, but I realize that just won't work. (Although, here's an annoucement: I stayed the night at the house for the FIRST TIME this week! After a cocktail-hour turned cocktail-evening at our local pub, it was just a better idea to mooch couch cushions from my lovely friend's dog - yes, her dog - and sleep on the floor at the Discoball. And it was fabulous. Minus the thousand brain cells I probably lost sniffing freshly lacquered floors all night.)

Anyway, we've checked Ikea (would I really go with particle board?!) and Home Depot (five grand and a six week wait for cabinets WE have to install?!) and no decisions have been made. I know, I know, I need to shop around, but when we are talking about a month plus to get the suckers, time is of the essence.

So, here's to finding the dream set of cabinets this weekend and shelling out the dough to get 'em here sometime before the first snow. The worst part? I used to moonlight as a "Home Show Cabinet Pro" for some family friends, so I know what good cabinets are and why they're worth it. Note to self: save dough for the dream cabinets BEFORE you buy the shack that really could use them.

Gotta jet now... Bordova house needs cleaning and then it's off to sand and mud the walls at the Shack. Have a fabulously sunny amazing weekend to you all. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, no fun. Can't believe your cabinet man bailed on you!! Good luck with the cabinets, I'm sure you'll find something that will work and that you'll love. :)

    ReplyDelete