Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Adventures In Manual Labor

So, it's been nearly three weeks since we FINALLY got keys to the new shack. And I am LOVING IT! Every day, I wake up excited to work on the next project. Previously a construction neophyte, I have almost officially earned my own hard hat at C&C Construction, or so I have named us.

Here is a brief rundown of what we have done in these two and a half short weeks:

Clear out and tear down back shed
Clear out garage and take out half-assed bathroom
Tear down dilapidated deck
Completely gut kitchen and laundry
Remove doors in kitchen/laundry and kitchen/dining, add arches
Re-tile and paint bathroom
Install new VD-free toilet
Take down huge tree in front yard, including stump

This is certainly an abbreviated list, but you get the point. Every waking hour not spent at our day jobs, Shupie and I are working on the shack. And boy is it coming together. I have chronicled all the progress in pictures, which I hope to turn into some fantastic coffee table book or best-selling coffee table book.

The latest adventure in remodel-land had me spending the better part of Saturday learning to "tape and texture" walls. Upon first look, you would think, "Hey, EASY job! Put goo on wall, spread it with a flat tool thing and you have perfect walls." But, after about ten minutes I realized that this was certainly not the case. I was covered, nearly head to toe, in said goo after about an hour. To add extra fun to the job, I had to goo the archway, meaning that when the goo was applied to thick, it would fall directly on my head, down my shirt (thanks to the girls for being team players and not breaking out in a goo-caused rash) and anywhere else below.

But, all in all, it was a fun job and I love getting my hands dirty. Good thing, since that was coat 1, out of the 4 coats necessary to complete the job.

Another highlight of the project has been the willingness of my great friends to lend a hand. Two of my very best friends came over, on a perfectly beautiful summer day off, and helped tear down stinky walls, load up the pick-up and actually accompany me on a trip to the dump. Now THAT is friendship. Needless to say, this was both of said friend's first trip to the dump. Not to worry, I promised next time they come over, it will be for wine and a chatty, not manual labor.

I have to give a couple more shoutouts, first to my favorite construction guru, Shupe. Without him, I would still be walking around in circles trying to think of what to do. And if it weren't for his drill sergeant attitude, we wouldn't be moving in for another year.

Also, my bro Phil, who has helped us with the worst of the worst of the projects. Clearing out the shed, which we were sure would contain at least one dead body, taking out the tree that must have been planted in the mesozoic era. Phil is putting in more than enough time to earn him a key to the new downtown boozer crash pad. Thanks, Phil.

Oh, and this story wouldn't be complete without a big THANKS to Morgan's, our neighborhood bar. We are officially regulars, and have become the new "NORM!" of the place. Thanks for the cold beer, yummy food, and for letting us in even when we are covered with schmutz and smell like cattle. Here's to our long and boozie relationship.

So, here's to more adventures in manual labor. Next on the agenda: plumbing, cabinets and more wall texturing. And maybe a few brewskis in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment