Sunday, May 15, 2011

A call to my neighbors...

Over the past weeks, I was privileged enough to participate in events celebrating the men and women who are out in our communities, everyday, keeping us safe.

While I enjoyed the camaraderie, it is disheartening that we must gather each year at the California Peace Officers’ Memorial Ceremony in memory of law enforcement members whose lives were taken much too soon.

This year, we honored the lives of eleven officers who unknowingly went to work one day and never returned home. These officers were making routine traffic stops, serving warrants and helping stranded motorists. They were doing their job, protecting our families, keeping our roads safe and enforcing the laws that ensure our state can operate.

As we witnessed the families, one by one, placing a rose on the monument in honor of their lost loved one, we were reminded of the true nature of a peace officer’s job.

I am fortunate enough to work closely with the Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), the largest statewide association of public safety members in the nation. These are 62,000 of the men and women who work to protect us on a daily basis. I have learned, though our work together, just how important it is to have a functioning public safety network. Without these brave men and women, who we often take for granted, we could not live the lives we do. Of course, many of us bemoan about the unfortunate instances of being pulled over or getting into trouble, but the truth is that these officers work, selflessly, for you and me, everyday.

While you and I go through our daily routines, it usually never crosses our minds; the fact that we are able to live our lives without fear. The fact that there are perfect strangers out there keeping an eye on us. The fact that, in the unfortunate circumstance that we have an emergency, we can pick up the phone and call for help. This week, these facts were front and center.

Many of us recently read about the possible cuts facing Sacramento’s police force. As a lifetime resident of Sacramento, this scares me. I take comfort in knowing that if I need help, I can count on someone to be there. I feel safe knowing that I am a phone call away from assistance, if I need it. The threat of dozens of police layoffs is simply unacceptable.

Two weeks ago, law enforcement officers from throughout the state hit the halls of the State Capitol to urge lawmakers to continue to fund critical public safety programs. Although it is hard to believe that policymakers would even fathom putting our safety in jeopardy as part of political games, this is a harsh truth. I understand; times are tough. We must all do what we can to tighten our belts, but we must take care to pay attention to cuts that would endanger our families. Officers face layoffs, patrol cuts, the elimination of community policing and departments specifically tasked with taking control of the growing meth problem in our state, among other things. We need officers on the streets. It is not fair to play games with the safety of our communities.

Months ago, like many of my friends and family, I didn’t pay attention. But now I recognize the necessity of public safety and the absolute risk officers take daily, for my loved ones and me.

I urge my community members to come together to find solutions to California’s budget issues without sacrificing the safety we take for granted. Putting our safety on the line is not the answer. The danger on our streets is real, as we saw the last week when the families of our fallen heroes mourned the loss of eleven lives. We can work together to be part of the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment