Sunday, February 12, 2012

The view from the other side of the bar

I think I've found my calling.

For real.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to fill in at a fabulous local winery in Clarksburg called Elevation Ten. Open less than a year, the wines are awesome and the whole crew is fabulous. They let me get in their way all day and didn't even once give me the "get out of my way, volunteer!" face.

The event was the Port and Chocolate Weekend in honor of the upcoming romance lover's holiday, Valentine's Day. Of course, those of you that know me know I'm not one for romance, but it was fun seeing all those lovey dovey couples swooning over each other, and the great wine.

I got my backstage pass to the inner workings of the tasting room and saw just how much wine these wineries go through during an event. Wow. It's quite an investment. But they were as generous as ever with their pours and the guests loved it. I definitely have a newfound respect for all of the tasting room staff at the places I frequent, often asking to "revisit" this or "try" that again.

Anyway, I got to spend the last few hours of the day pouring and what a blast. The guests were so nice, even forgiving me for my non-sommalier knowledge. They understood when I had to run and ask the actual staff what pairs right with this wine and what makes a white muscat different from a black muscat.

I got to spend the day smiling, chatting with interesting people and learning about the wines. It was so fun to stand on the other side of the tasting bar. Though I was there for 7 hours, the day flew by and before I knew it the day was nearly over. It was one of the most fun Saturdays I've had in a while. Not to mention I saved a bundle keeping busy all day. (And the awesome payday of a couple bottles at the end of the day was an awesome little bonus. You better believe I walked in the door and IMMEDIATELY opened that merlot and drank a leisurely glass on the couch with my feet up.)

So, although I love my job, I may end up being stolen away for the wine business. Or perhaps finding myself a weekend gig at one of my favorite tasting rooms. Lord knows there are enough of them to choose from.

Looking for good wine? Check out Elevation Ten. You'll be glad you did. www.ElevationTen.com.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment