Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chelsea's Cliff's Notes of Vino

I drink a decent amount of wine. It's true and there is no denying it. In an effort to make my wine habit have some sort of productive merit, I'd like to share a few thoughts on what's good, what's not and why I drink what with what.

Now, I'm not going to pretent that I'm any kind of expert, but here are the Cliff's Notes for those who find themselves scratching their heads in the wine aisle or buying wine because of the picture on the label. Although, I'll admit that I've caught myself doing that once or twice.

Of course, we all know that what you drink should depend on what you are eating, but I'm throwing a wrench into the picture. Being a vegetarian, I don't follow this line of thinking. I drink what I like, when I want it. I'll drink my big bold cab with my salad and I will like it!

If you're looking for something to cool off, a sauvignon blanc is a great choice. They tend to be light and crispy with a hint of citrus. I like to think of it as chardonnay's hip, cooler cousin. (I really don't think anyone under 45 drinks chardonnary anyway.) A good choice with lighter meals like seafood. It's worth a trip to Wilderotter vineyards in Amador to pick up their tasty Sauv Blac.

For those wanting to go with red but looking for something mild, pinor noir is always nice. It is great for those who don't want their wine to grab them and give them a shake. Rodney Strong would be a good choice and is easily accesible at your local Safeway.

A great choice for something with a hint of boldness would be a barbera. Medium bodied, with a hint of tart, this is a fabulous choice for bigger flavor without being overly assertive. I personally love the barbera at CG DiArie in Amador. They usually stock CGD at Whole Foods and Nugget.

One of my faves from way back that still tops my list now is a blend of Petite Syrah and Petit Verdot, called, appropriately enough, Petit Petit, from Michael David. In the words of MD, it is ' a joyous explosion of color and fun, it is a substantial, dense, full-bodied.' I love it. Check it out at Bel Air or take the quick trip to Lodi and stock up at the winery.

If you want to try something different, check out the Proprietor's Blend at Elevation 10 in Clarksburg. Full disclosure here, I know the owners (who are fabulous) and I helped out in their tasting room earlier this month, but even before that I knew this was a winner. A mix of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, it has hints of blackberry and is bold and delicious!

If you're looking for something big that will wake up your taste buds and set the mood for a fabulous time, go with a cabernet sauvignon. Fruit-forward and full-flavored, this is great for a big meal. One that I really like is Earthquake Cab from Michael David. It should be available at Bel Air, Nugget and the like.

Next we have good old Zinfandel. Huge in Amador and Lodi, Zins are bold and often peppery and can hold up to spicy food and big meals. You can take your pick when it comes to Zins, there are a ton of a fabulous ones. For the budget-conscious, check out Bogle Zin. Local out of Clarksburg, it packs a fun bite.

If you're still feeling nervous about your wine pick, I have one fail proof suggestion: grab a bottle of bubbly, a couple champagne flutes and you're set! No self-respecting gal turns down a glass of Veuve Clicquot if offered. Just the sight of that fun yellow label and you know it is going to be a wonderful night! Throw a strawberry in there and you're in business!

What fabulous wines have you had lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment