Thursday, July 8, 2010

Looking for something fun this summer?

So, after nearly six months of waiting, it appears that we might be getting close to wrapping this bad boy up. I type those words with a huge sense of doubt, although I hate to admit it. I have gone from extreme optimism to extreme pessimism when dealing with this house situation, which is not like me. Usually, the glass is DEFINITELY half full and NEVER half empty (unless you're running to get refills, in which case I would LOVE another Ketel on the rocks, thank you).

But here we are. My final loan documents have been drawn, sent to title and now we wait to schedule our appointment to sign away the next thirty years of my life. I am so excited I don't think there are words to express it. I have, over the months (and months, and months), the trials and tribulations, become quite attached to my little shack.

I know, I know, there is A LOT that needs to be done before we can even move in, but even the prospect of having shack keys in my hands gives me jitters. I haven't been more excited to clean up someone else's mess since my brother used to slip me a $5 spot to clean his room (and do his homework- I had to earn my money with Phil). I cannot wait to clear out the old food in the cabinets, the breast pump in the living room, the golf clubs, baby pool, the 800 doorhandles in the garage and the 10 different appliances spread throughout the house, yard, garage and shed. THAT is how much I love this place.

Now this is when I have to let reality sink in a bit.

Shupie and I sat down a couple days ago and wrote a list of who I need to contact (concrete guy, cabinet guy, tile guy, the place where you get huge bins to throw stuff away, A/C service guy, etc.) and what we need to ask (schedule, timeframe, cost, do they take payment in kidneys? etc.).

Now, being a first time homeowner, this is all new to me. Let's just say I am thanking my lucky stars right now that Shupie is the handiest person I know, and his awesome brother is willing to brave the heat and help with the repairs. Sometimes I just sit back and think, man, what would I do without these guys? Answer: live at home until I'm 30. (No, mom, there's nothing wrong with that, of course.)

So, if any of the five of you that read this are looking for something fun to do this summer, feel free to stop by the Discoball Speakeasy and lend a hand. I promise, I will pay in wine and cold beer - TOTALLY worth it.

Oh, wait a minute, I forgot one little detail... Schmucko's SMUD lien... Well, we'll keep it short and just say that I am signing papers BEFORE I find a stranger on the street corner to grab a $5k cashier's check and take it to SMUD. Hey, do you happen to have $5k lying around? Just askin'... Nothing like getting down to the wire, eh?

Wish me luck...

1 comment:

  1. You're almost there, hang in there!! I'm SO excited for you, not that I wouldn't have liked you to stay home til you're 30! (not fair, you've been gone @3 years already!!)

    I'd love that stranger to show up REAL soon, cuz the word Putz is coming to mind....yeah, just kidding! I love you, and will do anything I can for ya! (except touch food in cabinets, breast pump, 800 doorhandles, kiddie pool, appliances, & etc! hehehe)

    I'm SO excited, too!

    YEAAAAAA!!!!! PAR TAY AT CHELSEA'S HOUSE!!! BRING IT ON!

    OOOXXXOOO
    YOUR MAMA

    ReplyDelete