Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Three Things

Today was one of those days. You know, those days when it takes a little extra to put on a happy face. Those days when, for some reason, you just feel in a funk. And I know I have nothing to complain about. I am more fortunate than I can say, but for some reason today felt so blah that I sat in my little cubbie at work, just typing reports, sending letters and moping to myself.

In my travels on the World Wide (as Nichole would call it), I stumbled on a lovely little blog by a woman I don't even know. Her post on her new garden caught my attention and the fact that she barely posts more than me made me bond immediately. ;)

As I looked at the first few posts, hoping not to waste too many workday hours, I found this one:
//persnicketysummer.blogspot.com/2011/01/three-things.html


In college, when she felt blah, her roommate would go, "Quick, three things!" And she would rattle off three things she was thankful for right at that moment.




Wow. An epiphany. We have so much to be thankful for, we sometimes lose sight. Perhaps, if every morning (or afternoon, or evening) we took five minutes out to remind ourselves of three things that we are happy about, we will forget those things we don't like so much. I think the idea is grand. And I'm going to start reminding myself of those three things. Everyday. Starting today.




And just so you get to be witness to the beginning of this little self pact, here are my first three things I am greatful for:




1. Having two sweet boys who sit with me in the morning while I try to do something with my "flock of seaguls" hair. (Thanks, Shupe, for the lovely adjective.)




2. Having a job that challenges me, helps me grow as a person, let's me have a little fun during my workdays and allows me to be myself.




3. Living in a place where I'm allowed to live how I want, without limits and without being scared of what's around the corner.




Now, before I have any "What about me?!" comments (not that you would say that, mom), this is just the start. I have MUCH more that I stoked about. This is only day one.




What are your three things?

No comments:

Post a Comment